What Does Drop Mean in Gaming?
The language of gamers is full of English terms like drop. Do you want to understand this word too? The drop is not yet sucked, because we explain here the meaning of drop and how the word is used.
Drop and the verb droppen have their origin in the corresponding English word ‘drop’, which means ‘to drop’. Accordingly, drop is used to describe anything that falls or is dropped. The word has many uses:
- Loot dropped by enemies is called a drop. Most of the time, people are hoping for a specific item to be dropped. The probability of this is called the drop chance.
- Likewise, character values such as the HP can fall. This value is then also dropped.
- In some games like Fortnite or Player Unknown’s Battlegrounds, you have to head to a landing point. This landing process can also be called a drop.
- Modern developers sometimes give away access or extra content to players who watch streams or attend events. These randomly distributed gifts are also drops. Especially popular here is the game Valorant, which distributed its first accesses only through drops.
Drop is not just a term in gaming. The word is also used in other cultural areas. In youth language, for example, it is also used for things that are dropped. It can even be remarks. And in electronic music, a drop is a technique of first building up anticipation and tension, then later dropping it and releasing it into excitement.
Examples of the use of the term drop
- I don’t have a drop yet.
- He didn’t drop anything again!
- This has a really low drop chance.
- You dropped something.
- Where do we want to drop?
- My damage is extremely dropped with the new patch.
- The statements she drops are simply true.