When our water is not clean and potable, we face serious health hazards like cholera, diarrheal diseases, and many more.
Boiling the water or using conventional purifiers (UV light) only kills the bacteria and viruses but does not remove dissolved impurities and particles present within them. So, here comes the use of a water filter.
A water filter removes undesirable impurities, biological contaminants, chemicals, suspended solids, and gases by lowering the contamination of water using a fine physical barrier, a chemical process, or sometimes, even a biological process. Most water is purified for human consumption i.e. drinking water but water filters may also be carried out for a variety of other purposes including medical, pharmacological, chemical, and industrial applications.
With loads of the best water filters available in the Malaysian market, different filters provide different extents of purification. For this, one must know the mechanism that runs behind i.e. How do water filters work? Based on this, you can buy the best water filters according to your purpose.
Why Use a Water Filtration System?
Food and water are important for our living but with the passing years, the quality of water hasn’t been the same. So, the need for safe drinking water is highly essential. It is helpful for our immune system and leads to better health conditions
There are many reasons why you should use a water filtration system. Some of them are listed below.
- Saves you from various severe health hazards like diarrhea, cholera, dysentery, hepatitis A, typhoid, etc. which are caused due to contaminated or unfiltered water.
- Good for your digestive framework– Impure Water filled with considerable amounts of chlorine, sulfur, and other destructive components, only degrades your digestion and induces stomach ailments at an alarming rate. After filtration, the clean water regulates the smooth flow of the digestive tract and it softens the stool cleaning the waste material which in turn prevents constipation.
- Public water often tastes awful- We usually see the water available for free at public places taste bitter or in some cases, even worse. This results due to high concentrations of dissolved solids or corrosion of the aged plumbing system giving it a metallic taste and henceforth, not suitable for drinking.
- Better smell and taste- Chlorine, pesticides, contaminants, bacteria or heavy metals may be present in the water giving it a bad smell and doesn’t taste good. This can be improved only by filtration which leaves no minerals or trace elements.
- Environment stays safe and clean- Some people turn to packed bottle water in an attempt to drink water that is clean but in turn, don’t release the harm the plastic bottles cause to the environment in the long term. On the other hand, setting up proper water filters at home, offices or any place ensures the purest form of water with no harm to the environment.
- Delicious and healthier food- The use of filtered water in the preparation of your food maintains the normal taste of your food items. Not only does the food taste better but also, it maintains the balance of body fluid and a diet that is higher in water-rich foods.
Types of Water Filtration
In general, filtration techniques fall into two main categories- physical filtration and chemical filtration. Both of them are described below.
This is a physical way of removing solids or particles from fluids by passing them through a medium that has perforations smaller than the size of the particles. This type of filtration is basically used when you want to separate larger debris, sediment, or any particle which is not dissolved.
This is an effective way to remove dissolved or attached pollutants which includes heavy metals, nutrients, organic material, fine sedimentation, or any unwanted dissolved adherents. Here, the water is made to undergo through some active materials such as zeolite, activated carbon, activated ion exchange resins, AFM, and perlite which removes impurities chemically.
Do filters clean the water?
The answer is pretty simple: Yes, filters are meant to clean water and make it fit for drinking. They not only can remove the minute solid particles but some hold the value to remove the dissolved harmful elements or fluid present within the water.
What is the most effective way to filter water?
No method can be tagged as the ‘The most effective’, as all systems have their own advantages and limitations. It all depends on the requirements that you have got to deal with, types of contaminants present, particle size, etc all contribute to determining the best way of filtration of water.
Yet if I had to pick one, the reverse osmosis system is best suited for domestic filtration and provides a highly effective way to purify water at home. This is a form of physical filtration where water is made to pass through a semipermeable membrane with some pressure. This partially permeable membrane separates ions, unwanted molecules, and larger particles from drinking water and flushes away any contaminants making water fit for drinking.
Is it worth getting a water filter?
The obvious answer is a big YES. Who wouldn’t want to drink filtered and pure water which is a necessity which cannot be compromised upon? You need to make sure the water you drink is 100% clean and fit for drinking. It will also enhance your health and skin.
Nowadays, water filters have become an essential appliance in our homes. Having these filters at home ensures we stay away from several water-borne diseases by killing the harmful germs/bacteria in the filtrate body. So, when you are planning to buy a water filter make sure you choose the best one.